Practicing attorney since 1988
Broad legal experience in litigation, transactional and real estate/ property matters.
- Bachelor of Arts, May 1985 Southwest Texas State University
- *Chosen outstanding Senior in Philosophy 1985
- Doctor of Jurisprudence, May 1988 South Texas College of Law
- Florida State University Summer Program in Law at Oxford University 1987
- Licensed with the State Bar of Texas November 1988
- Licensed with the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals October 1989
- Licensed with the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas February 1991
- Agent for Property owners, Harris County Appraisal District and other counties
- University of Houston A.A. White Dispute Resolution Center Mediation Training/ Certification July 2002
- Licensed with the Texas Real Estate Commission, Salesperson license 2005
- Mafrige & Kormanik- November 1988 to January 1991.
- Associate in civil litigation firm. Also worked as a law clerk with this firm throughout law school.
- Law Office of Sophia A. Mafrige- private practice since January 1991 with an interim law partnership for approximately 1 year.
- Areas of practice have included commercial/ contract litigation, family law, condemnation, personal injury law, consumer law, ad valorem tax collection and defense, appraisal district protests for property owners, probate, immigration, real estate title disputes, civil mediations, collections and transactional work such as wills, business sales and real estate matters. Represented individuals, corporations and small businesses in these various areas of law, on both sides of the docket and in transactions, involving amounts ranging from hundreds of dollars to millions of dollars.
- Member State Bar of Texas, Houston Bar Association. Houston Bar Foundation Fellow, and Association of Women Attorneys-Houston. Have served as an ad litem in many civil and family law matters, and, as a Special Commissioner in Eminent Domain cases. Experience also includes past volunteer work as a moderator for the Harris County Dispute Resolution Center and the Houston Bar Association’s Legallines. Served as moderator for the Heights Chamber of Commerce Women in Action committee’s panel discussion on “Women in Family Law”.
- Commissioner/ Chairman- City of Houston Police Officers’ Civil Service Commission appointed 2008-present. Hearing disciplinary disputes involving Houston Police Officers
- Legal Affairs Committee Member, Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Christian Bishops of North and Central America; appointed by our Diocesan Bishop, His Grace, Bishop Basil, 2012 to present.
- South Texas College of Law- Advocacy program mock trial and moot court volunteer judge.
- National Pachyderm Foundation Board member [charitable foundation sponsoring scholarships for Boys State/Girls State], 2015 to present.
- Committee member for Houston area St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital gala 2006- present; table sales chairman 2008 to present; chairman St. Jude Appreciation Tea 2011.
- Committee Member [elected by SD17 caucus] 2014-2016, Military Partnership Committee for the Harris County Republican Party, served as Secretary.
- Founding Committee Member, Liaison for ‘Save Persecuted Christians’, 2014 to present
- Committee member for Houston area International Orthodox Christian Charities events 2004, 2006, 2011, 2015.
- Lifelong member of St. George Orthodox Christian Church; served as Parish Ministry team coordinator 2008-2013; currently an elected member of the Parish Council [governing Board]; previously served as President, Secretary and Vice-President of the Parish Council for multiple terms; Mediterranean Festival co-chair 1999; served on numerous church committees.
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Houston Realty Business Coalition
- Member, Association of Women Attorneys
- Member, Women Professionals in Government
- Member, National Hispanic Professionals Organization
- Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Alumni Member, Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity
- Alumni Member, Gamma Phi Beta Sorority
- Prior memberships include the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Souvenir Program committee, Heights Chamber of Commerce, American Bar Association, and Texas Women Lawyers.
- Candidate for Judge of the 129th Civil District Court of Harris County in the March 2016 Republican primary election and the November 2016 general election.
- Former candidate for Judge of the 164th Civil District Court of Harris County in the May 2012 Republican primary election.
- Former candidate for Judge of Harris County Civil Court At Law Number One  in the 1998 Republican primary and run-off elections.
- Magic Circle Republican Women’s Club * Immediate past president; previously served as President, 1st Vice-President of Programs and 2nd Vice-President/Membership Chairman;
- Downtown Houston Pachyderm Club * Immediate past president; previously served as President and Vice-President;
- Greater Houston Pachyderm Club * past Board Member;
- Associate member Braes Republican Women, Village Republican Women and Texas Tea Party Republican Women.
- Past member Harris County Republican Leadership Council .
- Greater Houston Council of Federated Republican Womens Clubs, serving as Chaplain for 2016 and 2015; previously served as Historian 2014.
- Honoree in the 2014 and 2012 Texas Federation of Republican Womens Clubs Tribute to Women.